Sunday, August 5, 2012

Simple Gifts

This story is a little late in telling, but I saw the person it is about today, and it made me think of this moment.  And it was a sweet memory, so I want to share it with you.  At the end of the AWANA year in the spring, one of my 4th grade girls gave me a present.  I wasn't expecting it and I was busy, so I didn't open it until I  got home that night.  She had wrapped it in a piece of paper she had colored herself.  When I unwrapped it, I found a pack of gum.  It was the sweetest gift.  Kids don't think about protocol or anything like that.  If I, as an adult, gave someone a pack of gum, people might question it.  But I knew that this gift was heartfelt and sincere, and I just wanted to give her a great big hug for thinking of me and giving of what she had to say thank you.  I hope I can remember this for a long time and remember that it is not in the abundance of what I give or the monetary value of what I give, but in the sincerity of the thought and the heart-attitude that I give.

No comments: