Monday, November 28, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

 This Thanksgiving I got volunteered to host the family meal.  I was a little skeptical at first, I'll admit.  Chris, Ann, and Mom couldn't host because they don't have a fully functioning kitchen.  So, I had a kitchen, and got named as the best place to host.  Even though I had no table, no door on one bedroom, no bed in another bedroom, and no curtains on one set of bedroom windows.  But I went to work.  I got a door, got a bed, ordered a table, didn't get the table in time, borrowed a table, borrowed a table cloth to cover the table, and was ready to host.  Phew!  Here are pictures in no particular order, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to put them in order!
 I decided I needed a centerpiece, so this is what I came up with. Yes, I crafted it myself!  I was impressed, too!


 And then I got the guest rooms ready.  An air mattress for the boys.  And the new guest bed for Chris and Ann.  Mom slept in my room with me.

 We played games a lot.  which is wonderful!  Also, note that we decided there would no dressing up this Thanksgiving.  Four out of six of us stayed in our pajamas and may or may not have showered.  I taught Michael how to play Uno.  We played Blokus and Sorry, and did puzzles (lots and lots of puzzles).  And Ann and I played Scattegories.
 The table is set!
 Right as we began to prepare food, Michael thought it would be a fun idea to line up all of his trucks between the kitchen and dining area.  We adjusted.  No serious injuries happened.
 John did a dot to dot.  It made me happy.
 Meet Fred (left) and Buster (right).  I've had Buster since I was in high school.  John has had Fred since before that.  Just kidding, he got Fred sometime in the last 9 years.  We had no idea they were long lost cousins.  Actually, I had an idea because I told John about Buster the first time I met Fred, but no one else remembered that!  Buster and Fred hung out all during Thanksgiving.
 Ann promised Chris that she wouldn't post this picture on social media.  But I did not.  Chris did not want his picture taken because of the whole pajama/no shower thing.
 The food ready to be consumed!
 Chris: the official turkey carver.
 John and Michael really got into helping with the food prep.  Above: Making mashed potatoes.  Below: Learning how to peel carrots.

 I love the sincerity on John's face and the goofiness on Michael's face!


 Another picture from Uno.  I just wanted everyone to know that I was enjoying myself, since the other pictures looked questionable.  Also, by John is Shoot the Moon, a game we played as kids at Grandma and Grandpa Forsberg's that Mom got for me one Christmas.  The boys enjoyed trying to master it.
 The boys way of helping make Jello mold: sampling before it goes into the fridge!

And helping to stir a little bit!

My first hosting of any holiday ever.  I feel like it was a great success!  Especially since hosting did not include cooking the turkey, just buying it! :)

No comments: