Sunday, March 15, 2015

Beware the Ides of March

I took Latin in high school.  I'm not really sure why.  I had a really good reason at the time, but it didn't really pan out.  No, it didn't have anything to do with a boy.  I think I was told that most languages have their root in Latin and if you can understand Latin, you can understand other languages.  Two problems arose years later from this.  1.  You have to remember the Latin for it to help with other languages.  2.  You have to have an affinity for languages.  Neither was true for me.  So I struggled through college Spanish.

Several "important" things I remember from Latin:
1.  Romulus and Remus (I don't remember the story exactly, but somehow the names have come up a few times)
2. Julius Caesar was assassinated on the Ides of March (that's today)
3.  I can still sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in Latin.  I mean, if that is not a workable skill, I don't know what is.  Only on rare occasions could you get me to sing it for you though, even when I make a point of telling you that I can do it.  A singer/performer I am not.
4. Veni. Vidi. Vici.  I came. I saw. I conquered.

Happy March 15th everyone!  Unless you're Julius Caesar, then you should beware this day.

No comments: