Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Difference Between Boys and Girls

So, in my line of work, I am able to spend ample time observing the differences between boys and girls of many ages. Here is one of the things I have learned. Boys ages 8-12 are incapable of walking down a set of stairs. Now, as a woman, I approach a flight of stairs and think, "Stairs. I should be careful so I don't fall down them. I maybe should hold onto the railing." My male clients, however, see a set of stairs (whether there are 3 stairs of 13 stairs) and think, "Stairs, I wonder if I can jump down them without breaking my neck. Or maybe I should try to slide down the railing." Every time this happens I see disaster lying at the bottom with lots of blood. In theh boys' defense, this has never actually happened. I want them to be able to express themselves and be boys, so I normally am able to compromise with them by letting them jump down half a flight of stairs, or the stairs with carpet but not the concrete stairs. But if all else fails, I usually say, "What do you think your mother would say if I called her and told her she needs to meet me at the emergency room because you have busted your head open. I don't think she will be too happy." To which they normally jump anyway. Sigh. Oh, and for further knowledge on the subject, NONE of my 8-12 year old girls have ever expressed any desire or interest in jumping down the stairs! They walk like perfect little angels holding onto the rail until they are safely at the bottom (okay, maybe slight exaggeration there).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You continue to notice amazing things that are so true! I never thought about this before, but most of my male clients also try to jump down the stairs. Unfortunately for them, I usually only let them jump down 1-2 stairs. Your 3 stair rule is much more fun! :o)