Monday, July 19, 2010

Being a softball fan is not for the faint of heart :)

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and I don't have a picture, does that mean I get to use 1,000 words to describe the event? Just curious...

Let me set the stage (if you don't need the stage set, just skip down to paragraph 3)...

Tonight was Monday night softball. I have been a fan of the church's league for four years now. That means I rarely miss a game (and now I usually watch both teams that play on Monday night). As the school year winds down in the spring, I start rearranging my work schedule to get off by five so that I can make it to the games. There are people I only see during softball season. This year it at the first game it was great to hear, "We've missed everyone and couldn't wait to come to the game." I feel the same way. Anyway, that's all background information (I must learn to use my 1,000 words carefully, lest I run out!)

Tonight's game was the Bethany vs Bethany game. The two teams play each other twice in the season. The first game was rained out (I may have prayed that it would be rained out because I was on vacation and didn't want to miss it...) Well, of course, today there was a high chance of rain. It rained earlier in the day, but I didn't think it was enough to cancel the game. But around 6:00 it started raining at my apartment pretty steadily so I assumed the game would be cancelled. I texted Kari and she called and said it had hardly rained at the field and the sun was shining. Yay...game on.

The Bethany/Bethany games are pretty well attended, so the fans come out of the woodwork. Here we were, all geared up to watch a good game of softball when the first drops of rain started. People scrambled to run to their cars...ummm, not exactly. People pulled out their umbrellas and some people ran to their cars to get their umbrellas and run back to their seats. So hear we all sat (I'm horrible at judging numbers, so we'll say between 30 and 50 people) huddled under our umbrellas hoping that it wouldn't rain long. But it just came down harder and harder. We were pretty wet, even with the umbrellas. Just as it started to let up, they officially decided to postpone the game but the teams were still going to play for fun. Down went the umbrellas and out came the ice cream.

It was lots of fun hanging out in the rain. It would have been so boring to sit inside my apartment by myself during that storm! But really...I wish someone had taken a picture of everyone huddled under their umbrellas. Maybe someone did and it will be on Facebook later...

BTW...that was only 476 words :)

1 comment:

Ann said...

I was making dinner when we spoke last night and was a little distracted. After we got off the phone I thought, "wait a minute, why is Teresa sitting in the rain?". Now I know. Glad you had fun. :)