Thursday, July 4, 2013

This house and these memories

(I know it's a little weird to have a snow picture on the 4th of July but this is the picture I knew I could find the quickest thanks to Facebook!  If any of the aunts have a picture of a 4th of July celebration at the house, I'd love to see it)
 
Today is one of those days that hold a lot of memories for me. It is a day that I love and it is the day that I think most about this house.  Grandma and Grandpa Forsberg always had the best 4th of July shindigs!  Blankets everywhere, people everywhere, food everywhere, fireworks in the evening.  It's the stuff family is made of!  It was the type of celebration that you could invite anyone to.  Friends of friends of friends came out to the house to celebrate.  It's funny how so much memory can fit into such a few years.  I don't remember exactly how old I was when they stopped shooting fireworks off from behind the house, but I couldn't have been that old because we moved to Georgia when I was going into 2nd grade.  Maybe it's the magnitude of the stories that I have heard throughout my life about this day that make the memories so vast for me.  But either way, thank you Grandma and Grandpa and all the extended family and friends for giving me the memories I have.
 
This will be my 7th year of new traditions for me.  Dinner at Kari's parents' house with whoever can come, yard games (although sometimes withe rain and heat those haven't happened), and fireworks downtown by the river.  I miss my family on the 4th, but I love having a holiday where I don't have to travel.  And any time family wants to join me, Kari's family is a lot like Grandma and Grandpa, you'd be welcome to join the festivities at their house!

No comments: