Tuesday, June 24, 2014

No one, Never, and other extremes

Today I had my eleven year old client.  We went to the library (his favorite place because he LOVES to read--insert heavy sarcasm here).  I gave him his treatment plan to read while I went to the restroom.  You would have thought I asked him to rob a bank. "NO ONE EVER reads in summer!!!"  Then when i came back from the restroom, I reviewed the treatment plan with him and asked him to sign it.  "I have to WHAT?!"  I don't think he actually said it, but he was definitely thinking, "NO ONE EVER writes during the summer!"  Then I wanted to do a thought web with him about trust.  When I told him about it, he said, "I HATE thought webs."  And he definitely told me he ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT write when he is not in school.  No problem, dramatic little kid, I can write for you, but you have to give me the thoughts.  "I have to THINK.  I don't know how to do that in the summer!"

 No drama or hysterics for this kid.  Actually, it wasn't that bad.  He's a pretty easy-going kid and I enjoy working with him.  And I eventually got him to do what I wanted him to do. :)

And then as we were leaving the library, he said, "There are so many books in here."  "Ummm...it's a library."  "But NO ONE reads anymore!"

No comments: