Sunday, July 19, 2015

1 year, 31 chapters

I just wanted to catch you up on my Scripture memory process.  Funny thing is, I was going to start it by saying that I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this because I don't want to be boastful or proud (which is still true), but I just read my last post about this in January and it says almost everything I want to say here.  I had actually forgotten that I had posted that.  So, if you didn't read my blog post in January about the first six months of the process, here is the link.

I wasn't sure that I would persevere through a whole year of Scripture memory, but I couldn't imagine not having this discipline in my life right now.  It has been a crazy year of learning new things about myself, learning to apply Scripture to my life in new ways, and learning new aspects of friendship.

At the beginning of July, Ginger and I started our 32 chapter (Romans 8).  We have slowed down in our memorization a little bit because we have more to review, but we are still going strong.  So, because I am a numbers person, here is the breakdown:

1 year, 31 chapters, 607 verses, 3 books of the Bible

Here is the list of the Scripture we memorized over the last year:
James 1-5
Psalm 23
Psalm 27
Psalm 62
Psalm 67
Psalm 100
Psalm 139
Isaiah 61
Luke 2
Acts 6, 7
Ephesians 1
1 Corinthians 13
1 Peter 1, 2
Philippians 1-4
Psalm 1
Isaiah 53
Jonah 1-4 (probably the most random thing on the list, but it was a lot of fun! Where else do you get to memorize the word "vomit")
2 Corinthians 3, 4

We originally started working off a list that Ginger had made for herself, but I also added chapters along the way.  We also added chapters that had to do with specific seasons--Luke 2 for Christmas and Isaiah 53 for Easter.  We moved things around on our imaginary timeline when they would work better somewhere else (Pastor Ritch preached on 1 Corinthians 13 and we were already planning to memorize it at some point in time, so we added it into our schedule).

And others have joined us along the way, which is so much fun!  I can't emphasize enough how much I thought in the beginning, "I could never do this."  They always say, "Never say never."  And I have found it to be true in this case for myself.  Our mind is a muscle and the more we use it the more we can use it (not a very eloquent way to get that point across, but I can't think of another way to say it!).

No comments: