Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can you just be whelmed?

A coworker and I were talking about interesting phrases that get repeated wrong (ex: for all intents and purposes) which led to me quoting 10 Things I Hate About You where Bianca and her friend are walking at the beginning of the movie and the friends says "I know you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed. But can you ever just be whelmed?" To which my coworker asked if you can just iterate something or can you only reiterate it. So, being the nerd that I am, I looked it up in the dictionary and I found something very interesting.

Here is the definition of the word reiterate: say or do again or repeatedly

Here is the definition of the word iterate: repeat; state repeatedly

So, that confused us. If you say something over again apparently you are just iterating it, so why is there such a word as reiterate? And if you say something just once, does that mean you are just rating it? Would the natural flow be rate, iterate, reiterate?

This was the highlight of an otherwise really bad two days of work. I was going to blog about it because it really is laughable, but let's just say that you should never assume that a neutral comment such as "I didn't expect to find you out here" will universally be received as a neutral comment. Instead it could be received as an attack on one's character, very judgmental, and cause for a new therapist, all of which might be stated to your supervisor over voice mail. Such a thing may or may not have happened in my life. That might just be hypothetical. Tomorrow is Wednesday. I am very thankful!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow. This is alot for me to grasp so early in the morning. Well, it's Wednesday. I was thinking it should be at least Thursday. Let's suffice to say, I am glad Tuesday is over!