I was working on a project while sitting on the couch with a blanket covering my legs watching an ABC Family Christmas movie online. And in my life, when accidents happen, they happen big. Don't worry. There were no casualties of said project, just a little stupidity on my part. Just remember, when I share the details of said project, that I am a qualified adult and there were no children involved in this project. :) That was all said for the "real" adults who read my blog (such as my mom, aunts, etc.) who will tell me that I should not play with fire. Anyhoo...on to the details...
We have a candle in our apartment that drives me crazy because it doesn't burn evenly. I was laying on the couch watching a movie on my computer, and the candle was in my line of sight. I noticed that it was burning down low enough that I couldn't see the flame and was afraid I was going to forget that it was burning (see how responsible I am!). So, I decided (which I've done before) to burn some of the excess wax on the sides so that it doesn't bother me quite so much. So, I got the tools for this project. Candle (which I extinguished), lighter (you know the long-stemmed kind), cup to pour the excess wax into. Supplies that I forgot...paper towels. So, while I watched my movie, I began to burn. It really is a satisfying project, one I've done lots of times before. But not on the couch. I got ready to dump my first batch of excess melted wax into the cup (successfully, I might add) when I realized I had no paper towels to wipe the wax off the outside of the candle. So I set the cup of wax on the couch on my blanket. Stupid, I know, but that's what I did. And it spilled hot wax onto my favorite blanket. A lot. I tried to wipe it up with the paper towels I was in transit to get, but it didn't work very well.
So I googled solutions to the problem. Many sites suggested freezing the area with ice cubes and scraping. Tried it, didn't work. Other sites said to iron it with a paper towel or brown paper bag between the blanket and iron to gather the wax. I tried this and it worked really well, but there is still some wax on the blanket. And I now have a big brown stain (the candle was apple cider) on my ironing board.
So, the moral of the story is don't put a cup of hot wax on the couch on top of your favorite blanket. The moral of the story isn't stop melting candles because, let's face it, it's kind of fun!
And on the up side, my blanket smells really good now! :)
Five-week virtual Bible study—no homework!
3 days ago