Monday, December 5, 2011

Name Brand Snob

I'd like to think I'm thrifty, but I'm not. I mean, I don't think anyone would accuse me of being thrifty anyway. But I wanted to set the record straight. I go to the store and think, "Hey, the store brand is (insert double digit cents) cheaper than the name brand. I should get that." Sometimes I do, and there are normally three reactions when I eat the food (which is where most of my name brand issues come from):

1. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! I can't even finish that! This doesn't happen a huge percentage of the time, but it used to drive my step-mom nuts. Once she tried to serve me spaghetti made with the store brand sauce. Now, I was a Ragu girl at my mom's, so it's not like I was used to super high quality stuff, but that stuff she served was like reddish-orange water. Not going down my throat. The latest thing I bought (which was not ingested) was Walmart brand cooking spray. Leaves everything with a sticky brownish residue--both pots and food. I refuse to use it anymore. So if anyone wants a half-used spray can of the stuff, I'm your gal.

2. Hmmm, I can't tell the difference. See, I'm not a complete snob. There are some things that just make sense to buy cheaper. Bread, for example. Milk (most of the time). I actually prefer the gallon size store brand orange juice to Tropicana. Ice cream, most of the time.

3. I'll eat it, but I probably won't buy it the next time. I'm sure this is where the majority of my experiences fall, but I can't think of very many examples right now. The latest, and the reason for this post, is the steamable bags of vegetables. I bought the store brand because it was about 30 cents cheaper and I figured there wouldn't be a difference. Maybe it was just this bag, but the vegetables lacked flavor and were kind of chewy. So, I probably won't give them a second chance. I'll just pay the extra 30 cents next time.

Maybe one day when I'm shopping for more than myself, I'll be more conscientious, but for now, I'm sticking with snobbery!

PS. Should my title be "Name Brand Snob" or "Store Brand Snob"? I'm questioning it enough that I'm trying to think of a new title!

No comments: