Tuesday, April 2, 2013


I love working in a job where I have a flexible schedule.  It means I can schedule doctor's appointments, hair appointment, etc. during the day without having to take vacation/sick time or go on my "lunch break" (what's a lunch break anyway?  often, in my world that equals driving through McDonald's between clients and eating in the car).  Last week was a very bad week for me.  Maybe one of the worst I've had in a couple of years.  I was ready by Tuesday to throw in the towel.  And the week got worse with personal stuff going on for me as well.  Luckily, it was a 4 day work week.  Originally I was going to do paperwork on Friday (even though I technically had the day off) but when Friday rolled around, I knew I needed an official day off--nothing related to work.  So, I was going to do my paperwork Saturday.  But I didn't actually leave my room until 12:30 and was meeting friends at 2, so that scrapped paperwork that day too.  At that point, I knew I was just going to get up early Monday morning to go into work.  So, I set my alarm clock for the super early (for me anyway), and proceeded to not fall asleep until after 1am.  But I got up and got to work a little after 7.  Then, my afternoon client called and said she was running late getting off of work.  So, what originally was going to be a long day turned into a REALLY long day.  I was supposed to get to her house at 3:30 and we didn't actually start our session until 5:10.  I didn't get home until about 7:30.  But because of my 12 hour day yesterday, and because of some cancellations today, I was able to get off work at 1:40.  And I didn't get to work until 9:00.  Flexibility.  I love it!

Before you think I'm complaining about yesterday, I'm not.  It was actually a really good day, just long and on little sleep.  I did really well until I walked into the house.  And then I was T.I.R.E.D.  I'm not usually a good multi-tasker when it comes to looking at Facebook and only half-listen when Emily is talking to me.  She knows this and knows if it is important to get my attention.  But yesterday, she was talking.  I heard her say, "I didn't get my sister anything for her birthday."  And then I realized a few minutes later that there was a long pause.  I looked up and could tell she was expecting a comment from me, which meant she had asked a question.  I cringed and said, Emily, I didn't hear anything after, 'I didn't get my sister anything for her birthday.'  Meaning, I don't think I even heard the sound of your voice."  She laughed and repeated her statement.  Then it happened a few minutes later and I had to have her repeat herself again.  I felt so bad.  I informed her that for the rest of the night, if she wanted to ensure I was listening, she needed to ask me to make eye contact with her.  Then, I was reading something on Facebook and it made me laugh so hard I was almost crying.  I showed it to Emily and she said, "That's cute." and walked away!  I haven't been that tired in years. :)  I am much better rested today and enjoying my afternoon off!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I hear you on being tired. I'm working 8 hours a day and then trying to study but by 7pm, I'm so exhausted I can barely function.