Thursday, August 13, 2009

The power of a to-do list

I am loving my day off so far, but I decided I needed to make a to-do list so that I don't waste away my two days. Actually, I have been pretty productive. It is 12:30 and I've spent time in the Word, almost finished my laundry, exercised and showered, and am now eating lunch and making a grocery list. But I still need the to-do list. Not so much because I don't know what needs to be done, but because the second I write it down I am 92% more likely to do what is on the list. I have never understood this phenomenon, but have found it to be true time and time again. Here are a few tricks I have learned in accomplishing my to-do list:
1. Break down steps (the more you can scratch off the list, the more you feel you've accomplished). For instance, sometimes when laundry is on the list I will put do laundry and put laundry away as two different items.
2. Include things on the list that you know you will accomplish regardless of how lazy you become (again, the more you can scratch off, the more you feel you've accomplished). For instance, today's list has exercise on it. When I was making the list, I was already in the process of getting things ready to exercise. Or I might put, "eat lunch" on the list.
3. Do not get upset or frustrated that everything did not get done. Just put it back on the next list you make. For instance, clean out closet has been on my list for the last month, but if it keeps going on the list, eventually it will get done.
4. Rejoice in what you do accomplish, knowing that you did your best!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Excellent post! I love lists also. I like to "scratch off" to see what was accomplished. Love you. Have a nice long weekend