Sunday, January 6, 2008

First Prayer and Procrastination

Two very different topics, I know, but an interesting title nonetheless! : )

Tonight was First Prayer at church. Normal First Prayer is the first Wednesday night of the month, but every once in a while they have it on Sunday night. I love these nights because I am always working in AWANAs on Wednesday nights and miss First Prayer otherwise. Tonight we sang one of my favorite hymns: And Can it Be by Charles Wesley. It talks about all of Christ's love and work for us. My favorite verse is the third one:

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

He left His Father's throne above;
So free, so infinite His grace.
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For, O my God, it found out me.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light.
My chains fell off; my heart was free.
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine;
Bold I approach the eternal throne
And claim the crown, thro' Christ, my own.
Amazing love! how can it be
That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

I love how these words reflect so accurately who we are before we know Christ. We are slaves to sin, imprisoned by our emotions, heavy of heart, hurting but not knowing why, searching for something. Then Christ offers us Himself. We are undeserving of this gift, but He offers it out of His infinite love. When we receive that gift, giving ourselves over to Him, we are freed from the chains of sin. We no longer need to feel the condemnation of our sin, but can turn it over to Christ. It brings a smile to my face just reading the words to the song, but the music so perfectly reflects the words.

After First Prayer, Kevin was so kind to take me to Barnes and Noble where I was finally able to satisfy a two week craving for peppermint hot chocolate! I needed a neutral place (away from various distractions) to do some much needed paperwork for work. I continued to procrastinate, however, by doing some other things that I brought first. I finally buckled down at 8:35 to do paperwork, only to hear the announcement at 8:45 that they were closing in 15 minutes (somehow I thought they closed at 10). Sad news, but I worked frantically until the last minute. Kevin took me home where I refused to get out of his car in my driveway because then I knew I would have to go inside and continue to do paperwork. It was kind of fun holding myself captive in his car. He has no real way of getting me out of his car, and he knew it : ). (Kevin, thanks for putting up with me!) So, now I have procrastinated for another 15-20 minutes by typing this. Sometimes procrastination is just too much fun!

4 comments:

stormhuse said...

I should learn to procrastinate more before I read your blog.

Just kidding.

stormhuse said...

Ok, I'm starting to feel really bad about my comment, but you told me the other night that my comments were getting too tame, so I thought I'd spice it up, but now I'm thinking that maybe you weren't trying to get me to start leaving non-tame comments, and that you were, in fact, just trying to somehow thank me and acknowledge my writing nicer things.

I heart long sentences.

Teresa said...

Storm, I can handle both your tame and non-tame comments. I haven't deleted any yet!

stormhuse said...

Time to procrastinate and write another blog entry!