Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Move is Officially Upon Me

Well, not yet, but I started some stuff this weekend. I am officially moving into my new apartment on July 12. I am VERY excited! However, here is what I am discovering. I have a bunch of JUNK!

I took a trip to Chicago Friday night and part of Saturday in order to load all my junk into my dad's van. My mom has been storing all of my stuff from Georgia at my grandma's house. So, this is stuff that didn't make the cut to be moved to Texas. Which means I haven't seen it in 5 years. Do you think there is a lot of valuable stuff in that? Not really. Here is what I decided, as I quickly looked through boxes:

1/4 of the stuff will just need to be thrown away
1/4 will be put aside for a garage sale in the fall (mostly nick-nacks that I no longer want or need)
1/4 of the stuff is stuff from my childhood that I don't want to display but I can't bear to get rid of, so Dad and Amy have graciously said they would store it (although I'm not sure they knew how much I would be bringing home)
1/4 of the stuff will actually move to the new apartment

Plus I got to bring back two chairs that I inherited/begged for from my grandma. They are in pretty bad condition and really need to be recovered, but I need to buy a couch first so that I know how I want to recover them. So, if you come visit the apartment, you'll just have to bear the ugliness until I can get them recovered. It's also going to cost way too much money. Everyone told me I was silly for wanting the chairs, but for some reason they just have a lot of sentimental value and I'd rather spend the money recovering them than buying new chairs. And lets face it, I have been trying to talk my grandma into giving me these chairs for about 10 years. The interesting thing is that up until about 2 months ago, I was only going to be able to take 1 chair because one of my cousins was going to get the other one, but she decided she didn't want it. So now I have a matched set of really ugly chairs. Maybe I'll take a picture of them so you can see them, for those of you who are far away and won't be visiting my apartment any time soon.

So, here are some items I have found that I don't know what to do with: a box full of Sweet Valley High books, a box full of Babysitter's Club books, about three boxes of porcelain dolls that I collected from elementary through high school, a couple boxes of picture albums/Rubbermaid containers full of pictures, and a box full of cabbage patch kid dolls plus baby clothes to dress them in. These are some of the things I don't really want to get rid of, but is it really practical to store them FOREVER? Mom says my daughter might want them someday, but as everyone might point out, I have no daughter and even if I have one, will she REALLY want them?

Last, but certainly not least, here is a link to the couch I'm thinking of getting. What does everyone think? http://www.broyhillfurniture.com/pop/?image=5081_U7487-lg.jpg

3 comments:

stormhuse said...

Some people like blogs when they have pictures.

Do you know what a picture is?

Teresa said...

I can't help it if you have trouble reading, Storm. Some people also like it when other people update their blog...

Lisa said...

Couch - you need something very comfy for guests!