Saturday, March 10, 2012

Heebee Jeebies

Last night I was getting ready for bed when I walked into my bedroom and saw a roach on the ceiling. Now, I am not one of those girls who can't kill a bug. I don't mind it so much as long as several conditions are met:
1. The bug is easily accessible and can be smushed with an object like a shoe, paper towel, newspaper, etc.
2. The bug is not above me (like on the ceiling or high on a wall).
3. The bug is not bigger than I am!

So, you can gather from the above stipulations that a roach on the ceiling does not meet my criteria. So I whined to Emily. She gave me moral support while I got a chair and a shoe. Problem is, I still can't quite comfortably reach the ceiling from a chair! So I stood on the chair and stared down the roach. It didn't move or seem overly perturbed by my presence. Sigh. I tried to crush it with the tip of the shoe, but it scurried just out of reach. At this point, I knew I was going to have to flick it. Emily's job was to see where it landed so I could then crush it. Unfortunately I did not know my own strength and I flicked it too hard. Straight onto my nightstand where it got all ninja-quick on me and scurried off the side into the dark abyss.

Needless to say, I didn't want to sleep in my room and I am STILL giving that nightstand a wide berth (as if the roach is still hanging out there and not long gone).

This afternoon I had to go to the grocery store. I put my right shoe on. Then I put my left shoe on. Once I was snug in the shoe, I felt something at the toe. I am not an external reactor, so I didn't scream, but my adrenaline got to pumping and I let out a squeak because I immediately pictured the roach trapped with my foot inside my shoe! I couldn't get the shoe off fast enough and when it landed on the floor, guess what rolled out...a piece of popcorn :). I felt a little stupid. But my heart rate didn't go down for quite some time!

No comments: