Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Steamroller


My Uncle Larry posted this picture on Facebook the other day. It's amazing the memories one little picture can bring up for me. This bench sat in the basement of my grandparents' house all my growing up years. From this bench started many games of "steamroller" with the cousins. I'm not really sure of the origin of the game steamroller, come to think of it. I don't know if it was a game that one of the adults made up for us or if one of the kids made up for us or if it is an established game somewhere. Here's how it's played. All players except the steamroller get up on the bench because its a safe zone. The person playing the steamroller lays on the ground parallel to the bench but halfway across the "field." One brave soul from the bench has to go turn on the steamroller by stepping on them. Once the steamroller is on, it is his/her job to roll over everyone before they can make it across the field to the other safety zone, which means you have to jump over the steamroller as you go.

Reading my description, it sounds like a really weird game and you're probably thinking, "what kind of family did Teresa grow up in?" but when my uncle posted this picture, one by one, the comments started flowing and all the cousins started chiming in about steamroller. It is the first thing we all think of when we see this picture. Who knows if anyone ever actually sat on this bench? I have no memories of that! :)

No comments: