Thursday, March 29, 2012

Would you like some cheese with that?

I'll be the first to admit that I am a connoisseur of cheesy Christian romance novels. I like them. I like the predictability of them. And I am rarely shocked by the cheesiness. It's expected. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me. Most of the time. Today was a different story. A while back I started taking my books with me so that if I get to an appointment early, I can read for a few minutes. So, today I was trying to read a few pages of my book and this is the line I read that literally made me gag and then giggle because of its cheesiness. And then I just read it to Emily. And then I decided it needed a blog post all its own. I don't know if it will have the same effect without me reading it, because I can add some serious cheese to it, but here it is. Gag away. And don't judge me.

"Every little movement she made was graceful as if timed to music, and his spirit responded like she was a song his soul already knew."

Really, you read that right. A song his soul already knew. Did you throw up a little in your mouth? I'm continuing to read the book for the principle of it, but if I come across another similar line, I might just have to chalk this one up to unfinishable.

And this is the line I just stated to Emily with lots of laughter: "No wonder we're not married. No one has responded to us like we were a song their soul already knew." But we can only hold out hope. Or maybe not. Maybe I'd just rather be single than live up to that quote!

No comments: