Saturday, August 2, 2014

Scripture Saturday

I have slowly been studying through the Psalms this summer.  Today, as I was looking up some meanings to words in Psalm 18, I was again struck.  I love slowly working my way through a passage, because then something I ordinarily pass over has a neon light showing onto it.  It's nothing very profound, but it caused me to pause today.

Verse 36 says, "You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip."

As I read this verse, I pictured the opposite of "a wide place."  I pictured an extremely narrow path on a mountain precipice.  I pictured someone clinging to the side of that mountain as they traverse the narrow path, barely able to put one foot in front of the other.  With every step, afraid one foot might slip.  Peeking over that cliff to what waits below. In this place, I sense fear and constant worry.  A sweaty brow and hands.  A rapidly beating heart.

But God gives us a wide place where our feet won't slip.  When I trust in Him, when I make Him my refuge, verse 33 says He will  make my feet like the deer and set me secure on the heights.  I don't have to cling in fear that at one wrong move, God will cast me from Himself, because He holds me securely and my salvation is secure because I have placed my faith in Him.  In this place I sense peace and quietness.  A steady heart.

No comments: