Friday, February 25, 2011

Being concerned for characters on TV, in movies, or in books

And by "concerned" I mean that you might cry if something happens. You might sit on the edge of your seat until you find out what happens, you might yell at the TV or book if something doesn't go the way you think it should. You might talk about it with your roommate a lot in between shows. You might google the character to make sure that their contract wasn't ripped from their pretty little fingers. You might call other friends and poll them to see what they think is happening. You might try to talk yourself into believing something didn't really happen the way you just watched or read it happen. Not that I've ever done any of the above mentioned things, I'm just speaking hypothetically. Okay, maybe I've done one of them...

On a similar note, I've mentioned that Emily and I are watching season 2 of NCIS. My favorite thing to do when one of the characters is in a tight spot is to say "Oh, no, Emily! Do you think Gibbs (insert other character names here) is going to make it out of this okay? What if he dies?!" And Emily's standard reply, "Teresa, I'm pretty sure we are still watching him in season 8, so I think he's going to be okay." I, for some reason, am amused by this conversation every time. I don't know if Emily is, but she humors me, so she usually earns good roommate brownie points.

But really, sometimes I feel pretty pathetic that I get so attached to fictional characters. It's just my nature. I think I've mentioned this before, but when I was younger I would also talk out loud during movies or TV shows to state my concerns (a horrible trait, I know, but one I can't seem to break myself of). I would say to my brother things like, "what do you think he's thinking right now!" Or "why did he do that!" And my brother's standard reply "Because that's what the script says, Teresa." Although this is a similar response to Emily's, my brother never earned good-brother brownie points. I think he usually just received a glare.

Hmmm...maybe I like my roommate more than I liked my brother. I think that might be a blog post for another day. PS. I do LOVE my brother :).

3 comments:

Danell said...

I once shouted at a movie theater screen 'Run Spiderman! Run!' :)

Ann said...

OK, I just laughed out loud reading your blog. :D I see that Chris has not changed much! I get very attached to characters too. When I am reading a book that I love I cannot wait to get to the end to see what happens, but then I am so sad I have to say good-bye to the characters!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on reading your blog postings. This one definitely made me laugh! Teresa, I am on pins and needles to see the firsy episode of season 3, but the ending of season 2 does make me sad:( Do you think that Kate is really dead?:)