Friday, April 13, 2012

Pink Eye Paranoia

Although I went 32 1/2 years of my life without getting pink eye, just the mention of the stuff makes me break out into a cold sweat. Yesterday I was with someone who told me that her sister had pink eye earlier in the week. The same sister I was going to see in a little while. I had an immediate urge to bathe myself in hand sanitizer. My eyes started feeling funny. And I was paranoid to put my hands anywhere close to my face. And if I accidentally did, my breathing sped up and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. Okay, some of these things are slight exaggerations. But when the pink eye culprit was in my car, I wanted to yell--Don't touch anything! Just keep your hands folded in your lap and don't move! Don't worry, I am a good hostess and did not want to give this person a Teresa-phobia or a car phobia, so I refrained. But the effects have lingered even into today. My right eye has not felt "normal" all day. I keep checking in the mirror to see if there is any symptoms. Don't worry. Nothing yet. But somehow, I can't quite get over the paranoia. I just wonder how many months/years this paranoia is going to persist. Because it's kind of inconvenient!

No comments: