Sunday, January 22, 2012

14 years

Yesterday was my 14 year spiritual birthday. 14 years being an heir of Christ. I have been finishing up memorizing a couple verses in Galatians 4:3-7, "So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. But when the time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir." There is another verse (reference escaping me right now) that says we are co-heirs with Christ. As an heir, I have received the full rights of a daughter of God--eternal life, a place within the family of God.

I am thankful that I was able to spend my spiritual birthday at the Women's Conference at church. Often on this day, I spend a little time reflecting over the years since I accepted Christ as my Savior, but it was good to spend that time surrounded by my family of believers, worshipping Him and learning more about what it means to walk with Him.

My prayer for the coming year is that I would grow more and more in knowledge of Him, focusing on what it means practically to walk with Him. I always cringe at New Years' resolution time, but here are a few spiritual goals that I have been praying through for the coming year:
1. What is Scripture Memory going to look like this year? Last year I did a plan through Beth Moore's ministry where I memorized two passages a month. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this again or focus on memorizing a book of the Bible. Through prayer and some words of wisdom from others, I have decided to memorize the book of 1 John. I started this week and have memorized 2 verses!
2. Prayer. Prayer has always been something I have struggled with as a believer. I am not very consistent and I feel like I say the same prayer all the time. I want this to be a focus of something I want to grow in.
3. Church. I visited a new Sunday School class for the first time today and am praying about whether to make this a permanent change. I am in the singles class right now and sometimes feel OLD. People coming into the class are sometimes 10 years younger. Also, will ministry look different for me this year? Should I look into new ministry or should I continue in the ministries I am currently involved in.

So, those are just a few things I am looking at for this year.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Teresa..I'm praying for you .
I am also making changes in my life as the new year. Trying to get to know more ladies in the church that would encourage me in my faith. So attending a Tues. Morning Bible study for the 1st time ever. Career and job choice this sem. is allowing me this opportunity.