Friday, February 17, 2012

The things you over hear in junior high

I was waiting outside the office at a junior high yesterday to see one of my clients. There was a kid sitting at the other end of the chairs. As one student walked by they started a conversation:
Kid Walking By: What are you doing here?
Kid Sitting: I got suspended.
Kid Walking By: For what?
Kid Sitting: For sagging.
Kid Walking By: For how long?
Kid Sitting: I don't know.

This disturbs me on several levels. Well, actually, first it made me laugh. Then it disturbed me. First, we're suspending a kid because he's showing his underwear when he sits down (that was the further explanation that he gave). Why not just give him a length of rope to tie his pants up with? Or have really tacky belts that will be more humiliating than anything else? That would get his attention more than a suspension. Second, he doesn't even know how long he's suspended for? Seems like something I might have asked while I was in the principal's office. Third, somewhat unrelated, but it reminded me of when I was in high school and I got sent to the principal's office because my shorts were too short. When all I had to do was roll them down once (because it was stylish at that time to roll your shorts. Well, I think it was. Either way, I did it!) I guess I should be thankful that I didn't get suspended for it!

No comments: