Saturday, February 9, 2008

Out of Context, but Still Funny

In seminary, my friends and I decided we were going to have t-shirts made with Psalm 56:1 written on them (we never did, of course, but we talked about it a lot and talking about it always amused us. It was like every time we talked about it, we were wearing the t-shirt!) Now, before you read the verse, understand that we fully knew we were taking the verse completely out of context. The psalm is really written by David when he had been captured by the Philistines. But picture four single girls sitting around reading this verse and you might just laugh along with us. Anyway, here it is: "Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; all day long they press their attack."

Why am I posting about this today, you ask...For one, it was a fond memory. Secondly, I was reading in the NASB and came across this verse and started laughing so hard, I think a tear came out of my eye. This translation puts a whole new spin on the verse: "Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; fighting all day long he oppresses me." Ha, how about that for a t-shirt! : ) Here it is in The Message: "Take my side, God--I'm getting kicked around, stomped on every day. Not a day goes by but somebody beats me up."

4 comments:

KevinG said...

Who's hotly pursuing you? I want names!

Hols said...

Wow! Talk about 3 completely different spins on a verse!

Ashley said...

That is hilarious. I read it this weekend with Andrew and he thought it was really funny too.

stormhuse said...

That is hilarious. If you get shirts made, can I get one?

Wait, what?