Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mission Peoria/ Post Three/ Evening Sessions

The theme of the week for Mission Peoria was "Jesus is..."
This top picture is the baptismal pool they have at Riverside.  The bottom picture is the sign they have on top of the Dream Center that you can see from most places in downtown Peoria.
Each night after dinner the kids gathered to hear different speakers.  The week ended on Friday with a concert by Audio Adrenaline.  Some things I took away from those meeting have to do with how I view Jesus.  In certain situations, do I think "Is Jesus..."  "...here?"  "...listening?"  "...going to fix this?"  Or do I affirm with great conviction, "Jesus is..."  "...here!"  "...listening!"  "...with me!"  Such a difference in the two.  Another speaker talked about something similar, just using different words.  Do I go through life thinking, "What if...?"  or "Who am I?"  or do I say with assurance, "The Lord is with me!"
The Riverside praise band led us each night in worship.  It was loud.  And crazy.  And Jesus was there!
The kids crowd the stage each night.  Josh is always right in the middle :).
Thursday night, Andy spoke of three times that water is used in the Bible.  1. when Jesus was baptized.  2. when Peter walked on water.  and 3. when Jesus washed the disciples' feet.  After his first point, he baptized two of the Acres kids and Josh.  It was an emotional evening.  The above picture is Max.
Above is also Max.  Dad, Amy, Daynah, and I were on stage for the baptisms.  I offered to take pictures so that Dad and Amy could enjoy the moment without being behind a camera.
Above is Marc.
Above and below are Josh.  I was so proud of him for taking this step of faith.
Andy's last point was about Jesus washing the disciples' feet.  He called Dad on stage in order to demonstrate.  He talked about how he has had the privilege to serve alongside Dad for many years at Mission Peoria.  It was humbling to watch because I remember a time I've had my feet washed.  And it was cool because I know how much Dad likes to be behind the scenes and always serving.

At the end of the service, Andy brought out many buckets of water and had the praise band play.  While the music was playing, if any of the kids felt led they could bring a leader or friend down front and wash their feet.  Also a very cool thing to see.
Friday night Audio Adrenaline put on a concert with all proceeds going to BackPack Peoria.
It was loud and I didn't know a lot of the songs (although they have had more songs on the radio than I had remembered.)  But the highlight was when they went old school and played Big House.  "Come and go with me to my Father's house.  Come and go with me to my Father's house.  It's a big, big house, with lots and lots of room.  A big, big table with lots and lots of food.  A big, big yard where we can play football (cue throwing a football through the air).  A big, big house.  It's my Father's house!"  (you're welcome to all who know this song and now have it stuck in your head!)

No comments: