Thursday, May 8, 2008

Perspectives, Priorities, Plans, and a really long Post

I have several things I have wanted to post about this week, but none of them fit together. Some are serious, some are very superficial, some are just things I want you to know. So, we will start with the serious and go from there...

Perspectives: I found out last week that my aunt has breast cancer. I am unsure what the prognosis is...people keep giving me information and it keeps getting muddled in my head. They were doing another biopsy this week to check to make sure the cancer has not spread to her lymph nodes. I know she will have to go through radiation. I was able to see her last weekend. She looked tired, but was optimistic. She made some statements that really made me think. She talked about how your perspective on life really does change when you hear the word "cancer." It no longer matters if your house is a mess when guests come over...seeing the people is what matters. It doesn't matter if the grocery shopping gets done today or tomorrow. It doesn't matter if the toilets get cleaned. It was a good reminder. Things don't matter, but relationships do. It made me think of a passage from Matthew: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Perspectives: I was examining the gadgets in my car this week and was able to watch my car turn 25,000 miles. I have had my car for 1 year and 4 months. I was in my mom's car this weekend. She has had her car for 10 or 11 years. It has 105,000 miles on it. You do the math. I have a lot of miles on my car. Period. The end.

Priorities People: My birthday is only 58 days away. Here are the plans so far. Celebrate. Period. The end. Actually, there's more. The current plan is possibly to go mini golfing (I've been practicing my golfing on Wii...I am getting very good!).

Priorities: I am taking Friday off again. Partially because I have to (I have some comp time that I need to use or I will lose it). Partially because I just want to. Partially because of the next bit of information.

Plans: I am taking my now annual trip to Virginia to see Kristi. I leave tomorrow between 3 and 5. Kari, Kelli, Kevin, Josh, and I are driving through the night, attending graduation in the morning, celebrating in the afternoon, crashing in the evening, going to church on Sunday morning, going to lunch, and hitting the road with trailer attached carrying some of Kristi's things, cruising home late evening, and getting up Monday morning for work. I love road trips. I am getting good at the no sleep all night and being able to function for most of the next day. One of these times I will remind myself before the trip that I am not really young anymore, I need to get a grip on reality, and I should really "just say NO." Until then, Virginia, here I come.

Okay, is anyone still with me? Oh, last bit of random information. We'll file it under "polemic" even if it doesn't really fit except that it starts with a P. I was driving by a church this week and here is what the sign out front said "Txt message: O u mean the Bible." Very interesting. Awe inspiring, even. It took me a while to process...hope you have fun with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Teresa for a wonderful post. We all need to keep your aunt in our prayers. I know God will watch over her and help her through the next few rough weeks. I love you. Have fun on your trip. Be safe. Love Mom

Meneses said...

Good words. God is in control. I'm so thankful He is in control and that I can trust Him to take care of my mom so that I don't have to worry.

Have a safe trip!