Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Power of Music

I was talking with a friend about how certain songs/music reminds you of different times in your life. Here are a few that always conjure up warm/interesting/disturbing/funny memories...

The Simpson's Sing the Blues CD always reminds me of playing Sega with my brother in his room--specifically Sonic the Hedgehog and NHL Hockey. (Sadly enough he also regularly listened to Sir Mix a Lot's Baby Got Back, but at least the song reminds me of fun times of hanging out with my brother!)

Any Jimmy Buffett song reminds me of my mom and dad. I grew up listening to Jimmy Buffett. Sadly enough, I was belting those songs out long before I knew what I was singing about.

"It's the End of the World as We Know It" reminds me of high school graduation. It wasn't the theme of graduation, but I know it ranked pretty high up the list. Ironically it was playing on the radio as I was driving to graduation in my beloved 1983 Honda Prelude in the rain.

One of the Caedmon's Call Cd's (can't think of which one right now but I can hear the songs in my head) had been in my car for about a month when I traveled a couple of hours for a friends wedding.

There is a country song that mentions flip flops that was playing when Danell and I went to the aquarium in Dallas (we were both wearing flip flops at the time and it is our favorite footwear).

"I'm in the Lord's Army" reminds me of the year I nannied because the boys and I used to march through the dining room, around the living room, into the kitchen, up the stairs, around the playroom, down the stairs, into the dining room, etc. as we sang the song.

I'm sure there are many more, but I can't think of titles right now!

5 comments:

stormhuse said...

So true, so true.

Any time I hear Pat Green I think of hot summer nights in Austin...

Hols said...

Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine" always takes me back to highschool driving with the windows rolled down (because I couldn't roll them up) in my '83 Honda!

stormhuse said...

Me too!

Except it wasn't an '83 honda, it was a '71 volkswagon.

And it wasn't 'any man of mine', it was 'man, I feel like a woman.'

See, different, yet the same.

(I'm not sure who Hols is, but please know that I'm making fun of me, not you...)

stormhuse said...

Update your blog... (translation: I've had too much free time today)

Everytime I read 'the power of music' I start singing Huey Lewis's 'that's the power of love'...

Don't tell anyone, but there might be an update on my blog tonight... shhhh....

Hols said...

I"m one of T's friends from the big GA. I'm laughing with you. Anyone who had to suffer through those days without AC and windows that worked properly HAS to have a sense of humor!