Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sun. Shine.

In my job I encounter many people suffering from depression. Depression is one of those things that is hard to empathize with when you are not feeling depressed. You just want to tell a person, "Buck up. Get over it." I know, isn't that very therapeutic of me. :)

Well, when the sun doesn't shine for almost three weeks, at least not for more than 2.5 seconds, I begin to understand a smidgen of what depression is like. I mean, yesterday, I was rude to people, I was in a bad mood, I was lethargic, I just wanted to lay on the couch and do nothing, I couldn't focus at work, and I was close to tears.

Today, as I was driving home from work, the sun was shining in full force. I don't think I can quite describe how I felt. I was almost giddy. And hyper. And I came home and got more done than I have all week. I mean, laundry had been sitting out in the living room since Monday (I know some people may think that's not a big deal, but I'm usually pretty good about putting laundry away the day I do it). And lets not even talk about the dishes that were exploding across the kitchen.

And I hear the sun is supposed to be shining ALL DAY tomorrow! I am so excited!

And you know it's bad when every morning the weatherman on the radio says "It's going to be a gloomy day today." Gloomy? Is that even a technical weather term? Couldn't he be a little more upbeat than that?

And now I think my roommate and I are going to watch an episode of NCIS. We never do that, so we thought we would treat ourselves :)

1 comment:

Ann said...

A few years ago, when Atlanta had gone weeks without sunshine, a radio DJ played the clip of Mel Gibson from the movie Ransom: "Give me back my 'sun'!!" I always think of that when it is gloomy (which cannot possibly be a technical term).

I hope you enjoyed your rare viewing of NCIS. Who even knew you like that show? ;)