Saturday, April 30, 2011

Things I dread

This list is not going to be exhaustive, by any means. But some things are just in the forefront because they either just happened, or they have to get done. :)

1. Getting my oil change. I hate the moment when I see the tech heading for the door. Because I know it's going to involve a lot of talk about something I don't understand. And it's going to probably involve more money because I've put off the decision for several oil changes.

2. Cleaning my bathroom. I don't think I need to say more about that.

3. Dusting. Part of that is my fault. I am a clutterer. Dusting would be so much easier if I was a simplist. But aren't surfaces meant for putting stuff on? what else would they be there for.

4. End of the month paperwork. There really isn't any more that I have to do. It's just that there is more of a pressure to get it done on time. I'm pretty good at turning my notes in on time, but I am consistently about 3 hours late, mostly because I have things first thing on Monday morning.

5. Making big decisions. I think I'm pretty good at the little decisions. But the big ones are a little harder for me. They are so much more final once they are made. There are a few exceptions, but not many. Moving to Peoria after graduating was a major decision, but I always had such a peace about it. Buying my hybrid was pure impulse. Amy and I went to look and I came home with it. Have I regretted the decision? Sometimes. The hybrid was second generation at the time (I think) and I can't say that it has lived up to my expectations, but I would have never convinced myself that it wasn't the right choice at the time. And I still do get better gas mileage, just not as better as I would like.

6. Getting to the end of a book. Sometimes I wish they could go on forever. The best books for me are the ones with epilogues that are 10 or 20 years later. Than I know what happened to the characters.

7. Change in general. You would think after 30+ years I would have gotten used to it, but I think I'm a slow learner. Stuck in my ways. Stubborn. Some change is good. Like when you put fresh sheets on the bed. I like that change. Or when I get some new clothes, also a good change. But why should I sit in a different place in church, for example, if I like the place where I usually sit (although I did recently venture out and have found that I like the new place too. Now it's just a matter of deciding which I like more!).

1 comment:

Ann said...

I agree with you on all of the above (except I don't have a hybrid so I can't comment on that). I LOATHE going to oil change places! Thankfully your wonderful brother usually changes my oil. EVERY time I go to an oil change place they supposedly find something that "needs" to be done for an extra $40 minimum. One time (when I was first dating Chris and he wasn't doing my oil changes yet)they charged me about $40 for an air filter that Chris said cost about $1.00. Since that day, I always calmly listen to what they say and then just tell them to write down what needs to be done so I can give the list to my husband. Half the time they make stuff up. It's infuriating. If we ever live near each other again Chris will have to do your oil changes too!